Site Inactive

View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Spidubic

re: WoT, MWO and PvP

Everyone pretty much knows I am not a big fan of PvP. I will admit I have had fun and enjoyable times in PvP but generally I avoid it. Which is why I have followed and read a lot about World of Tanks but never thought of playing it. I love tanks but the PvP part kept me away. Until last week. Bored with other games and with the 2 year anniversary of WoT last weekend I decided to try it out. And damned if it isn't a lot of fun. Due mostly to how they lay out the tanks and tiers pretty much everything I hate about PvP is absent. Skill and smarts prevail. And learning how to play your tank as well. I am getting better every session. I still die, still do stupid things, but I am also getting kills and living the whole battle. It isn't a game to play constantly, the maps and gameplay would get boring. But as a game you dabble at its a blast. So now I may give MechWarrior Online a shot as piloting a giant robot is just too cool. Just depends on if it is set up like WoT.
Darkhawke

I am more than a lil surprised that you are likin WoT , but awesome Spid, glad you found something your having fun with ..

mechwarrior is a lot of fun, but it is definitely not easy. it takes a bit to get used to the controls. torso and legs move independently, right and left mouse buttons for weapon groupings, etc. if you do get it, though, let me know and i will group with you, and help you to learn all the commands, plus i have a good clan and im sure they would help you out, too. its much easier to do tactics with a group you know. pugs dont really listen.

Darkhawke wrote:
I am more than a lil surprised that you are likin WoT

Me to. I held off two years because I did not think I would like it. Oddly enough the way they designed the game pretty much removes any issues I have with PvP. Its not a game I play constantly, maybe three or four rounds a night every other night or two. Good game to dabble with. MWO is next in line to try out.
Spidubic

Finally got MWO updated and logged in. Ran through the training area to get use to the controls. Fairly straight forward. Mouse and WASD keys work great for mech movement and rotation. Like it much better than when I was trying to control a mech with a game controller. Actually it follows the same control scheme as WoT. Then I decided to head into battle. Initial impression is I like WoT better. MWO's first map was at night which made things tricky. Too late I realized H turns on thermal imaging. Will have to give it another shot and see if I can get a handle on it.
Torvalis

so, thought i would give WoT a try, i am downloading it now. should be playing a few matches tonight, and see if i like it any. is your name spidubic in game? mine is Torvalis.

It is Spidubic. I was hoping to play tonight but the 8.5 update surprised me. Should have downloaded it at work. Instead I am downloading 650 megs at home. Ugh!
Torvalis

i have gotten several matches in. it is pretty challenging at times. definitely a lot more fun than i had anticipated. i am close to maxing the tier 2 (T18) american tank, just need a few more thousand $ to get the 75mm at gun on it. maybe i will see you sat or sun evening.

Added you to my friends list.

So far I am liking the Russian tanks, then the American and the German. Bought the new T-60 light tank tonight. Gun it ones with sucks. Slow loading rapid fire can't shoot your way out of a wet paper bag gun. That got upgraded right away. It is quite fun and challenging. A lot of things to think about and decide on the fly. I still don't move enough as a light tanker and it gets me in trouble. But I am surviving better and helping the team more than when I started.
Torvalis

i am going for tank destroyers, cant wait till i get the M10 Wolverine!

I am still undecided what I want to do. Messing around with all the tanks at the moment, learning stuff. I have heard the higher tiers are a lot tougher and require good knowledge of what your tank is suppose to be doing in the battle. May stick to the lower tiers for longer as they are quite fun.
Torvalis

well, the grouping function is obviously not very user friendly. so, i guess we wont be able to do any grouping type stuff. mechwarrior, on the other hand, you can group up just 2 players and queue for a match no problem. envy

Got to play a fair bit over the weekend. Wanted to try a couple of things out. First was a tank destroyer. Grabbed the first German one and headed out. It is fun to play but not sure if it is my cup of tea. Will wait until I move up to the next one as it is suppose to be a lot better. Then I spent time playing through my tanks as first win gets 3x XP. While doing that I was reading about the next step in Russian tanks. Debated T60 to T70 and T26 to T46. Like the sound of the T70 but the T46 leads to the KV1 which sounds like an awesome tank and one I will like. So after getting first wins of the day on my tanks I concentrated on the T26 to get the XP required for the T46. This is a Tier 3 light tank which put me into a whole new world. New maps and a totally new playstyle. Tiers 1 and 2 are slower paced battles. Tier 3 is all about the rush. Tanks are faster, battles quicker. Everything moves faster. And I must say while not perfect the T46 is a blast. Everything is happening so fast. You are all alone and then all of a sudden you have three or more enemies around you. Definitely a new learning curve. Not to mention artillery which adds a whole new dimension.
Torvalis

yeah, i have gotten into a few battles with my T82 (american tank destroyer T3). i have been up against some heavy tanks, and other T5 tanks. not sure why they would put a T3 in with them, but heavy tanks are no joke. also, i asked someone and they said there is a way to queue with friends in the random matches. said something about platoons, but i havent looked into it yet. sound like a clan/guild thing.

This I think is something they added. From what I can tell platoon creation use to require a premium account but at some point they added the ability for free accounts to create a 2 player platoon.

http://worldoftanks.com/game/guide/en/general/how-create-free-platoon-two-players
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Defenders Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: