Site Inactive

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkhawke

re: Guild Direction

So i was speaking with Pain a bit in vent last nite about our lil community here..

And i know we have had these discussions before but im going to bring to the front again , only because i care..

I realize that life can be hectic and we all responsibilities that we didnt in past years..

But at the core we are all still gamers and truth is we are all gaming fairly regular .. Regular enough that we should be able to coordinate 1 game and keep a a weekly guild nite and activities with our small group ..

I know that the 5 of us participate in the forums the most and we Torv + Kitty (hi Kitty) and Lithe and a few other lurkers .. So any are welcome to jump in this discussion and give there input..

But i would really like to see an effort to get us all in one game and commit to it, ANd i would commit to any game that we all decided on and committed to ..

so i think a good place to start would be for everyone to list there top 5 from 1-5 games they would want to see this happen in .. These can be current or games due for release by say 2nd qrt 2013 .. So that would include Neverwinter , Age of Wushu etcc add to this plz..

So lets compile this list and see what games come up most common and then take it from there..

1.AC2 .. A return here would be a blast ..

2. LoTRo.. sucha beautiful game with great lore and nostalgia

3. POE.. Unique and gritty gameworld with great char development and loot ..(not an MMO .. but fun is fun )

4.Rift ...Rift .. a solid game with a great set up for 5 man runs

5.EQ2.. the old stand by is still a great game with tons of good content for a small group ..

as a runner up for me Neverwinter also will be great for a small group from everything i have read on it i think Cryptic is gonna get this right ..

1.AC2 - Definitely would be awesome to group in the game that started it all.

2. LoTRo - Can't get into it. Plus I have always had this weird issue where the game freezes every 30 seconds or so for about 2 seconds. Really annoying and have not found a solution.

3. POE - from my limited playtime I think this one is worth a shot a a weekly group night.

4.Rift - I am subbed for the next year so.........

5.EQ2 - Would be willing to give it another go.

I have two issues, well three issues with grouping.
1 - Internet connection is not great. Some nights it seems to run awesome, other nights it can be a huge PITA! At times it is frustrating enough that I don't play an online game for days.
2 - Time. I often wonder where my time goes. Usually 8pm EST before I even have a chance to think about going on the computer. And then there are so many other things vying for my attention.
3 - Attention span of a goldfish. I find I start out wanting to do one thing and then something else catches my eye and I end up doing that. So I may log into a game and five minutes later I have logged out and am doing something else.
Darkhawke

Spidubic wrote:
1.AC2 - Definitely would be awesome to group in the game that started it all.

2. LoTRo - Can't get into it. Plus I have always had this weird issue where the game freezes every 30 seconds or so for about 2 seconds. Really annoying and have not found a solution.

3. POE - from my limited playtime I think this one is worth a shot a a weekly group night.

4.Rift - I am subbed for the next year so.........

5.EQ2 - Would be willing to give it another go.

I have two issues, well three issues with grouping.
1 - Internet connection is not great. Some nights it seems to run awesome, other nights it can be a huge PITA! At times it is frustrating enough that I don't play an online game for days.
2 - Time. I often wonder where my time goes. Usually 8pm EST before I even have a chance to think about going on the computer. And then there are so many other things vying for my attention.
3 - Attention span of a goldfish. I find I start out wanting to do one thing and then something else catches my eye and I end up doing that. So I may log into a game and five minutes later I have logged out and am doing something else.

The idea was to list YOUr top five choices .....and then we x reference everyones choices..

Darkhawke wrote:
The idea was to list YOUr top five choices .....and then we x reference everyones choices..

I know. Figured since you named 4 of 5 that I would choose I just added my comments.

Here is my list.
1) AC2
2) Rift
3) PoE
4) The Secret World
4) Vanguard
4) EQ2
4) SWTOR
painegiver

1. Rift
2. lotro or ac2
4. POE

id be down with static group runs on POE - im also really liking TL2 - but im having alot of fun in rift now - SL has really added another layer to the game....
Torvalis

1. Mechwarrior Online
2. Star Trek Online
3. Borderlands 2
4. Planetside 2
5. Guild Wars 2

1. PoE (static Group)
2. Ac2 (Level disparity may cause a problem with group play)
3. GW2 (Level Scaling is nice)
4. ?
5. ?

No sub is nice. Happy

Ashenfield wrote:
No sub is nice. Happy

Too true. I would say for the Defenders grouping that F2P is the way to go. Even if it is a game you only play guild night. If we have a static group then levels are not a concern. And as much as I would love to hunt Tyrants with the Defenders in AC2 I can't see that happening.
Spidubic

Torvalis wrote:
1. Mechwarrior Online

Too bad it is PvP. I would love to pilot a mech in an MMO setting. Would love to have a whole garage of different mechs and weapons to choose from to play. Just not against other people.
Dizzarian

Alright, I've been poked out of my cave by rico to reply :p

Like rico said while our group of guild members has been consistent our personal lives have not. Our guild is getting long in the tooth and I know for me, my gaming time has changed over the decade we've been together and I know all of yours has too with kids and family and such. So we need to keep this in mind.

I think our biggest problem right now is not the game but it's a commitment to a time slot. And I know that's hard to do but any of this we want to be successful in we need to pick a weekly guild night and time and stick to it. This is actually at the very core of how we got started so we need to get back to our roots.
Now that's not really enough. As we know, we need to have a game that can accommodate our gaming time as individuals. For example rico is a machine and is usually 10-100 levels above any of us in any game we choose where I'm 10-100 levels behind everyone who has played at a regular pace. Some games handle this well with mentoring and scaling (GW2, EQ2, rift, etc) Other can't handle this at all (LOTRO, AC2, POE, etc) these games would have to be static groups if we try them. Between these 2 forms I would perfer having a game that scales over static groups.
F2P I would say is not required but we really should try to stay in that arena because it will remove a point to entry to guild night. For a guild night we want to be all inclusive (again back to our founding).

So to summarize
tl;dr:
- Everyone has to commit to a time slot and be there
- The games we choose to play in that time slot should scale
- The games should be f2p so we maintain all inclusive

That being said my current top for this would be
1) TSW
2) POE Static Group
3) GW2
3) Vanguard
3) Lotro
4) EQ2

But note, I'm like rico, I have all games and will play any game with the defenders that's why I can't stress enough WE HAVE TO ALL COMMIT TO A TIME SLOT
Darkhawke

Nice write up there Dizz....

So now what are 3 morst common options we have ..

PoE is on most lists

GW2 is 2nd

And did TSW and LoTRo get the same # ?

no lotro with 3 and TSW 2

AC requires a sub at this point so its out for this excercise...

So .. ( and dbl check this)

we got ..

POE

GW2

LOtro

1,2 and 3 is that right?

looks about right.

Now time wise.

At the moment, I can probably manage 8pm Wednesdays as my best bet. Kid has gymnastics Monday and Thursday, Skating on Tuesday. Fridays and weekends are always a gamble.

Alternately I can do other weekdays (Mon, Tues, Thurs), but it may not be reliably until 8:30 or 9pm.

So this excercise shows us the most common interest are with

1.POE

2.GW2

3.LOTRO

now honestly this was by no means a thread to say this our Game , but more or less to see if there is something we all (or Majority)share an interest in ...

and i think the next thing that may be worth some time , is to see if there is a game that was mentioned and not on this list that anyone wants to make a case for adding to it..

Or do we each list these 3 reamining in order of preference and x reference it ....

Thot s?

or discuss these 3 and way the pros and cons..?

PoE con is since it follows a set path if one person misses a night they will have to catch it up on their own or we run it again the following week.

GW2 auto leveling works great for grouping. Only con is the dungeons require 5 so if we are short it will make the dungeon tougher or impossible to do.

LOTRO. Two cons for me. The whole every 30 seconds it stops responding for a second. And the fact I have tried to do a couple of things in game and been told I need to buy access.
Darkhawke

Spidubic wrote:
PoE con is since it follows a set path if one person misses a night they will have to catch it up on their own or we run it again the following week.

GW2 auto leveling works great for grouping. Only con is the dungeons require 5 so if we are short it will make the dungeon tougher or impossible to do.

LOTRO. Two cons for me. The whole every 30 seconds it stops responding for a second. And the fact I have tried to do a couple of things in game and been told I need to buy access.

For POE it s a pro and con .. depending how you look at it .. all the content is soloble also and it ramps up expotentially with group ,, SO if you miss say killin Brutus .. you get done yourself during the week or jump in a pug if you want or .. yes we rerun it the following week .. so i dont see that as aproblemm..

Its other Pros .. you can lvl your other 3 builds at will and farm for your toons or guild .. just keeping the one toon for static group .. which as we saw lvl very fast (atleast early on)

Its Fresh , Interesting , F2P and easy to jump in for short spurts if you want..

Lotro , i understnad your internet problems and that would be a huge turn off for me also..

Pros .. well its Middle Earth and offers a ton of great lore nostalgia Crafting , Housing and group content .

Cons .. its a slow going game .. any play must commit some time to accomplish anything..its F2P model isnt as friendly as POE or GW2

Gw2 ... Pros great looking world runs well .. scaling lvls and zones .. WvW can be great fun..

Cons ... Dungeaon mechanics are silly at best , the game gets boring at 80 ...WvW can turn into just zergfest .. Classless classes are lackluster along with there respective skills..

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: