Site Inactive

View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Spidubic

re: Server crashes

Post from Sev:

Here's the issue. We have something crashing one of our servers, and that will cause the rest of the servers to eventually crash. The problem has grown in frequency until tonight where it is happening every two hours. It's fairly regular.

Each time a server crash happens we bring down the world rather than let it come to its knees 15-20 minutes later which can cause item loss. Each time we are running diagnostics and closing in on the problem.

Maybe it is caused by a higher level quest/landblock that is problematic. This issue doesn't bring down the server when it is first run, but rather won't balance properly and causes an issue later. My best guess is that no one was high enough level to hunt the area / enter the dungeon / run the quest that's causing this. Now that players have leveled whatever is causing this is almost always loaded when we balance load.

Normally I wouldn't burden the players with the gory details, but it could be that one of our players notices some kind of correlation with something that's being run.

Sev~

Well server restarts every two hours is better than the more frequent crashing. Sounds like they are closing in on the issue. I can only imagine what it is like working with a game closed 7 years ago on current server tech. Especially since the ones working on it likely had no hand in it originally. Here is hoping they get it resolved. Happy
Spidubic

Have not played AC2 since last Friday, nearly a week. Kept reading on the forums about the server crashes continuing so I held off. Logged in tonight and actually got the the point where I thought maybe I would be lucky. Third stone map.......crash! Ugh! Gonna give it another week but if the crashes keep up I will cancel the AC sub and just wait. I LOVE AC2 but the amount I have gotten to play and enjoy it has not reached the $13 monthly sub to AC. I have so many other things I can be doing I would rather save the sub cost and just do something else. Not worth the aggravation.
Ashenfield

I haven't played in a few days because I've been forced into being social, repeatedly Happy
Soon.

The crashes altho annoying havent been that bad , i have casually manged my Ranger to 21 and my Healer to 18..

And had really restrained myself form playing , particularly my Ranger was really holding back but have decidied to push forward with him , hopefully after the holidays you guys get more active as it is , i am the only 1 in the clan with Dizz( and he has been mia) , and this really only takes moments to swear (literally)

So i will give it a bit nore time and then look for another clan if there doesnt seem to be interest ..

But i digress, got off track there.. Fixes are coming to the servers so i would stick it out or you will then find yourself way behind the curve (AGAIN) and that appears to be a detractor from playing ..

Not that there isn't interest from me, just that games are pretty low priority compared to holiday family time for me. Happy

And really as you and I have discussed, I've not been too confident that we have enough consistent activity to run a guild in AC. Unless you want to head up the recruitment effort.

Getting our small numbers into a larger group I think would serve us better in the long run. We can still run as the defenders in spirit, with the added benefits of the resources of a larger organized group.

My 2 cents.

Not sure if it is the area I am in or the time I play but the crashes for me are annoying. Maybe I need to try playing my other character and see what happens. On Amokk my typical game night is survey 3 maps (this is the amount of time for a crash), game crashes. Wait five minutes try to login and get server full or "what server?". Go do something else for 20 minutes. Try again and get back into game. Survey 3 maps ( again more of a time reference), game crashes. Login server full. I go do something else. Leveling has slowed to a crawl due to my inability to consistently play. I assume at 18 and 20 you have moved on to Omishan from Osteth Rico? This maybe my issue as I am still on Osteth. Will try my alt tonight and see if there is any difference. He is only level 8 where Amokk just hit 16. 20 is my goal for Amokk as that is where he gets his Sand pets and the game gets a lot more fun.

Darkhawke wrote:
Fixes are coming to the servers so i would stick it out or you will then find yourself way behind the curve (AGAIN) and that appears to be a detractor from playing ..

I have pretty much decided I am going to be behind the curve. No real way to catch up or level at any kind of speed due to my current issues. I will more than likely just end up playing AC2 solo. Just running around with my pet eventually(hopefully) and reminiscing. Unless a New Years miracle comes along but I am not holding out hope for that.
Spidubic

Decided to log in at work and see where the crash left me. I was out in the boonies surveying but at login I am back at the lifestone in Cavendo. Instead of 300+ stone I have 213 so I lost the last few minutes of my playtime. Did not check XP before starting last night but did check stone. So I was rolled back.

My first and most favorite MMO of all time comes back from the dead and this is how it treats me.

Last edited by Spidubic on 2012/12/28 10:27; edited 1 time in total
Darkhawke

Spidubic wrote:
Decided to log in at work and see where the crash left me. I was out in the boonies surveying but at login I am back at the lifestone in Cavendo. Instead of 300+ stone I have 213 so I lost pretty much the entire playtime last night by the looks of it. Did not check XP before starting last night but did check stone. So I was rolled back.

My first and most favorite MMO of all time comes back from the dead and this is how it treats me.

Man i dont get it for you , i have lost very lil ... Altho i have heard others in chat complain of losses , i also no some times everyone doesnt get booted just some..

Turns out I did not lose as much as I thought but still it ended my game night. Think I may just find and area and run around. Typically I grab a map and kill stuff while I survey. If the area is too low I recall and run another map. Maybe it is all the recalls that is doing something. Amokk is in an area of same level mobs so I may just stick around here killing and see what happens.
Spidubic

Well it is either time of day or my surveying that is causing my crashes. At work not surveying I have not crashed yet. I guess I can do some surveying here and if that works then it is simply time of day for me.
Darkhawke

Tuff it out Spid , fixes are coming , thy are going to upgrade this server to make it more stable.. The problem IMO is there are way to many trying to play on this old sever tech.. Changes are coming im sure along with UI and content and upgradesm may take till , server upgrades should be by 1/14 im guessing ... rest to follow..

Well it is not my recalling all the time when surveying. I was out in the boonies just running and killing. Maybe ten minutes and boom! Server crash. 8pm EST.

Got logged back in easy enough but crashed after killing the next mob. Going to log my alt and see what happens.
Spidubic

Been 20 minutes and still cannot get into AC2 so I am off to do something else. Can't sit here waiting forever.
Darkhawke

They brought the server down last night and it will stay down till tommorrow 1/3 .. They seem to have found the problem and are fixing it .. Sev and Tolero have stayed in contact with the community thru the process.. Great to see there dedication to AC2 , just like its community ..

You can follow the progress here http://forums.ac.turbine.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59

Have not given up on this btw. Just the last two times I started playing I crashed within 5 minutes...so holding out for some progress on the dev side.

Page 1 of 3

Jump to: