Site Inactive

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spidubic

re: Amokk's Adventures in AC2

Just had to start a thread where I could ramble on about AC2.

When I logged in for the first time and heard the wormhole sound...........oh man! And then the music hit! The character creation screen, making my Lugian was such an awesome feeling. So many things forgotten, so many slowly coming back. Took a while to figure things out again, nearly died because I forgot the combat system. Starter area completed and out to the real world. I stopped at this point and played with stuff, bringing up the skills tree. Yup, Elementalist check, Zerk tree check. Awesome! There may be dual wielding DPS in other games along with pet classes but damned if nothing compares to a Zerk or a Sandman. After playing around with settings I headed off to kill stuff. No hero here. Drudges are tough for a low level character in AC2. Death is always present unlike other games. First thing you learn that I forgot is put points into Mastery first and foremost. Without those points you are missing like crazy and the mob is hitting you too often. From there you get to choose skills from the tree. As you take them new ones open up. You have three trees, Magic, Missle, and Melee. These skills will only work with the matching weapon equipped. Sword in hand you will not be tossing magic. Best part is if you go up a tree and decide you want to go another rough you can untrain. The skill will be unavailable while you untrain and it takes the same XP put into it to untrain. So if you are deep into it you may be a while. At first a lot of fights you auto attack more due to having vigor issues as each skill uses vigor and that does not regen in combat. Vigor conservation is important.

Once out in the world leveling is the game. There is no rush to cap to start the game. If you think that go play another game. Two main levels are 15 where you choose what branch of your tree to go up. These are independent of the base Magic, Melee, Missle trees. For my Lugian Magic is the basis for Elementalist but I can stay in the Melee tree instead of having to go Magic. I could also go Missle and stand back to attack with my club but I like to be in their face. Plus the Melee tree has a cool top skill in Reap Essence which returns health for damage. SO 15 gets you into the new trees but at least for me 20 is where I get my pets and then my Sandman starts rocking.
Spidubic

Found this is the links Ash provided. So worth the read. And really helps explain what a Zerk is and why to this day no other game has captured the essence of the Berzerker.

http://ac2vault.ign.com/?dir=guides&content=berserker

I. Introduction
Wind screams over the crumbling ruins of Linvak Tukal like a starving wolf crying in hunger as it plods along searching endlessly for a modest meal. Beyond the shadow of the clouds the sun burns brightly, but upon the snowy banks little light is seen save that which is reflected from the ground in an evil silver hue. Far away is Cavendo, its green land greedily soaking up the rays of light, and its bustling populace busy in trade or quest. For here few adventurers yet trod and their legends for the most part go untold. For here the drudge are laughable pawns -- only the solemn Lugians can truly understand the plight of this land.

Set upon one of these icy hillocks a small group of explorers prepare to tackle an area of the wild overrun by tundra armoredillos. The company does not joke or make light of the impending doom with soft music or care-free dancing -- silent and motionless they sit, afraid to disturb even the smallest blade of frozen grass for fear of arrousing one of the great shreth. For here there are monsters without peer, gigantic beasts with iron skins who can withstand a thousand arrows to the brain and still continue charging. These are creatures who even the most powerful among the wise would be loath to disturb.

Wiping the sweat and grease from his eyes the party's tactician stands and declares the fort built, walls of ice and fire surround the ornate turrets seeking the heat of enemy blood. With a twang an archer lets fly a burning arrow and from the distant haze an armored beast appears. Flinging its tail in harsh strokes the creature throws snow and dirt and stone from beneath its mighty form into the wind. It lets loose a primordial howl then jumps into the air, curling itself into a ball, and the earth itself rumbles as the beast rolls toward the small fort. The companions stand and gently stroke their weapons praying to their gods to bring victory this day -- all save the sole berserker who still sits calmly meditating, his eyes shut, his swords still sheathed.

The entire party jumps to attention as sword and bow and axe and staff meet the unyielding hide of the tundra armoredillo. Drums beat in a soothing healing rythm. Beneath the glowing turret the tactician tirelessly repairs his creations, occasionaly stopping to summon new walls to protect his companions. Only the berserker is still not disturbed by the beast, and still he simply sits and waits. The fellowship has thrown all they could at the groaning giant and still only a few of its rocky scales have fallen from its hardened skin.

A wall has been destroyed, the last remnants crushed between the powerful jaws of the screaming beast, when finally the berserker stands. With a cry he swings his swords before him, then thrusts upwards into the sky, bringing all his meditation to a single glimmering point. He feels the power grow within him as his arms hasten. His eyes open and lock upon his foe, but his face remains stoic and mute. Charging for the monster he readies his swords and begins an intricate dance of steel against flesh. Scales and skin and blood fly from the monster as his swords brutally carve into its body. The beast screams in pain and fruitlessly lashes at the sky trying in vain to find the cause of this newfound torment, but alas it is too late. With a final flurry of his swords the berserker brings down his fist upon the creatures skull, crushing it with sheer force and driving fragments of bone into its brain.

Both fall to the ground together -- the berserker and the tundra armordillo -- but only one would live to see another battle. The beast whimpers in confusion before it leaves this world. The berserker drops to his knees exhausted and closes his eyes, his meditations beginning once more.

The beast is dead, slain by the berserker's hand.

II. What is a Berserker?
Of all the classes I have tried in AC2 the berserker remains my favorite. This is the class which so many games have tried, yet none have yet succeeded. When I first reached 30 with my main and began to comprehend the raw power of this specialization a wry smile graced my lips. By 35 I knew I was damage incarnate.

Yet I have never seen another true berserker in all my journies save one, and at 36 he untrained his skills and took a different specialization route. This is the reason I write this guide now; hopefully I can inspire some other brave soul to give the 'zerker a try. I won't lie, its not an easy road -- but the power which await those who have the patience and wisdom to play their character correctly is beyond compare.

Before defining exactly what a 'zerker is, its important to rule out what it is not. If you choose to play this class, remember the following mantra and repeat it often: "You are not a tank."

Come on, say it with me. "You are not a tank." Do not presume you can stand toe to toe with a foe as a defender can. Yet you are not ranged, so standing out of range in safety is simply not an option. In short, you are not a character who will be soloing often.

What you are is damage incarnate, a sword-mage who can unleash upwards of 1000 damage a second past 35. Only group mobs will be able to stand before you for longer than a few seconds -- everything else will drop moments after you've engaged it. This is the power of the berserker.
[/i]
Darkhawke

I love that stuff, thats just reall well thought out original Lore and AC2 is blanketed in it .. The Tumeroks and there lore are one of the best MMO races and lore created in MMO history .. The classes like above and Hivekeeper etc.. are well thot and fun ..

I really need the lore of a game to grab me. Thats why i am also back to EQ2 and taking it very slow , just aborbing everything.. AC2 draws you in maybe futher e altho there arent the endless quest .. It still makes you want to learn and explore its world.... Rift doesnt do that for me .. it all seems so contrived... pity

And i am really confident that they are going to be not only giving us better perfornace but UI , Graphic and content in the future..

And also just cant wait to aimlessly wander and hunt as the Defenders of Dereth again...

Reading some of the player guides on classes tonight and realized I don't think I ever played anything but a Lugian. I had Amokk my Elementalst/Zerk depending on mood. Then I had Darkstryder my Tact. But no other races. Very odd. And I remember most peeps in the guild stuck to one character. Dizz the Sorc, Ash the Enchanter, Rico the Ranger. acid was a Tumerok FI I think? Tonk and Hawkbill were Tummys as well. Not many alts were played.

On a side note since lag was so bad I rolled a Lugan who will be a Tact someday.
Darkhawke

I had a Tummie healer and then was changing him to HK .. will do the same again..

Well the lag has disappeared this morning but now the initial quest givers are bugged and don't respond. LOL

Decided to jump on Amokk and just wander killing stuff. Found an area that was level appropriate and went to town. Dinged 14 while I was killing as well as found a new sword, shield, necklace, and gloves. One step closer to Elementalist.
Spidubic

The memories continue to flood back. Found the area in Cragstone where so many would meet for vaults and such. I can remember dozens of people standing there waiting to head out. Also hit Rithwic tonight. The river and mud plains where so much questing happened. Also noticed the portal to Cavendo but held off going there for another day. Also did some surveying and damn that is still cool to do. Kept checking /cg, watching all the former AC2 players yapping about this or that.

Who says you can't go home again.?
Spidubic

The next billing cycle for my AC account is the 14th so with a heavy heart I cancelled my sub. I love AC2 and hope it manages to make it out of beta but for right I just have too much on my plate and too many free games to play to make keeping the sub active worth it. So for now I am out of AC2 with the hopes the new team can bring AC2 back to the mainstream and I can once again bring my Elementalist to life.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Defenders Forum Index -> AC2 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: