Site Inactive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Defenders Forum Index -> The Secret World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashenfield

re: Character Development/Synergies

A good outline of character development and synergies from the lead designer.

http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/blog_lead_designer_martin_bruusgaard_explains_character_development

I'm thinking of using the affliction (DoT) synergy between elementalism and fist. Fist also offers some HoT abilities for survivability and support.

Plus the fact that shooting lightning out of my wolverine claws could be pretty epic.... Happy
Spidubic

I am still deciding but torn between two options. First off I have decided to stick with weapons. In a world full of magic and mysticism I want to keep my character a little normal. I like blades and I like the rifle for its range but the two don't really mesh. I would have to do some other tweaking to get them to work better together. Other option I like is shotguns which work well with hammers. I played around with characters of both sword/rifle and hammer/shotgun. Both ended up being fun. Rifle had a better range to pull stuff but my hammer smacking/shotgun blasting character flowed better.

Decisions decisions decisions.......

And the more I read the more I realize I need to read more. Looks like a lot of thought has been put into the skills and weapons and how they work together.

Think I am going to need a flowchart to figure out what I want.
Ashenfield

What I like is the fact that I can have passives in any skill regardless of the synergies involved. if it's useful to me I can use it, without the need to even have an equipped weapon from the associated skill.
i.e. could equip a passive from the sword tree without ever having held a sword.
Makes for a lot of situational builds on-demand.

Technically you should never need an alt except for perhaps aesthetic purposes.
Spidubic

Ashenfield wrote:
situational builds on-demand.

Technically you should never need an alt except for perhaps aesthetic purposes.

I like the idea of one character. Especially one that can swap out decks for certain situations Kind of like Rift and the multiple souls but taking that to another finer level.

Having a single character though, that is going to take some getting use to for an alt-a-holic.
Ashenfield

Quote:
Having a single character though, that is going to take some getting use to for an alt-a-holic.

Well I guess you could always alt away in the traditional sense to satisfy your multiple personalities Happy
Spidubic

Ashenfield wrote:
Well I guess you could always alt away in the traditional sense to satisfy your multiple personalities Happy

I could do that. Btu I think I am going to really try to stick with the one character in TSW. I know in Rift I had alts but I found it difficult to swap between them and then have to relearn how to play another character. Especially when my main had 6 different souls to play. That alone was enough to remember. I may make an alt just for inventory purposes but my main will hopefully be my only character.

Bill "Amokk" Spidubic!
Darkhawke

I ran the Assult Rifle into the 2nd tier .. was doing pretty well with that build.. the Assalut Rifle also has a damage/heal Builder .. pretty handy .. but looking forward to fooling with stuff at launch ..Plenty to do till then .. and im already convinced..

Soooo seems i am the only one that likes Templar.. what faction are you leanng towards .. ?

Templar seems too we know what is right and all else is wrong so do as we say or we just kick your ass and move on. really did not care for their manner.

Illuminati feel like the 1%.
"There are no rules. There is no honour. There is only victory."

Dragon is old school Asian philosophy.
"expected to respect the balance of the universe and to be humble in the face of fate. Yours is not the path of force, though force is often needed to clear the path."

I like the Dragon ideals.
Spidubic

Been reading the link Ash posted and learning things.
First off I did not realize this:

"The Ability Wheel consists of a basic wheel and an advanced wheel, and the player needs to master all of the basic abilities (14) of a weapon before they can unlock the advanced ones."

I knew there were inner and outer wheels. But I did not know you had to learn all the weapon skills before unlocking the advanced wheel. I was kind of picking one side of say blades and sticking with it while doing the same with Rifle. But in reality I will need to take all 14 skills, 7 per section x 2 sections to unlock the advanced weapon wheel.

So the more people advance the more skills they will unlock and conceivably end up with everything unlocked for all weapons. Cookie cutter builds? Then it all comes down to choosing the right decks for certain situations.
Spidubic

"On prefixes and suffixes you'll find all the secondary stats, like crit chance, block chance, evade chance, etc. These can be weighted differently, meaning that a player can find, or create, an item that does for instance +100 crit chance, or +30 evade, +30 crit and +40 penetration chance. Another really cool feature on our items comes in a bit later in the game, where players might add certain triggers and buffs to their suffixes."

I like this as it looks like perhaps through crafting players can tweak their builds to suit them. This is where cookie cutter builds may get smashed. Rico could want more crit while Pain wants more penetration on his rifle. I like the idea of tweaking your build so you are not exactly like the next guy with a rifle.
Spidubic

"As you can see from this information, getting the right items for the right build is important, and the customisation in TSW is very deep. We wanted to create an item system that lets the players get exactly the stats they want on the items they equip. If you get something you're not happy with, you can always modify it through the crafting system."

Again very cool. So if I get and item with a stat I don't like or want on my build I can modify it through crafting. Sounds like crafting may actually be useful in TSW. Rift crafting never appealed to me as I never found it useful. Or more to the point the useful items required materials I could never get a hold of.
Spidubic

The more I read about how weapons and skills work in TSW the more I feel the catchphrase for The Secret World should be, "The thinking mans game." There is so much to learn and digest, so many ways to set up builds or 'decks'. It is like the different souls in Rift but to a whole other level.
Spidubic

More reading done. Forums have a huge amount of threads on skills and the round tree. It sounds like from what I have read from players and the TSW team itself that filling out all the skills in the first ring gives you the foundation for later decks. Dungeons are built around failure and learning. Changing play style between group members to find the best mix that works per given dungeon. So while I may for example like to play Shotgun and Hammer I may find myself playing Blood and Pistols in a dungeon in order for the group to succeed. Decks are vital to success as you can have a build for pure single target DPS and then another for AoE and actually use both during gameplay. More I read the more interesting and fun TSW looks. I am also thinking slow and steady. Take my time, explore, learn. Rather than my usual grab quests and go go go go!
Darkhawke

Really looking forward to launch ... ANd definitiley feel this is a game to take slower , Also the reason i stopped playing the CB , i was already sold seen what it has to offer and didnt want to ruin the experience at launch..

Really hoping this is a game we can progress in as a group , and explore this interesting and imerssive world and character development , along with the interesting crafting and original feel to the lore....

just 2 more days 14 hours to go:)

Quote:
Really looking forward to launch ... ANd definitiley feel this is a game to take slower ,

Looking forward to it as well.

Going to be pretty slow for me I'd guess. Life keeping me playing games in short bursts.

Though I have all of august off of work so I'll be able to play a bit more then. Happy
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Defenders Forum Index -> The Secret World All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: