Site Inactive

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashenfield

re: Shadow of Mordor

Picked up Shadow of Mordor today and put a couple of hours in.

Pretty fun action RPG so far.  Some nice hack and slash type action against hordes of orcs, or giant beasts.  An interesting system of orc captains that level up over time if you don't kill them and are rewarded for killing you.

Haven't got too in depth into the skills yet, but I'm sure they will give lots of new ways to destroy orcs.

Each orc captain is it's only little elite battle.  With some summoning reinforcements, others immune to damage types, etc.  You can gain intl on them through the missions to find their weaknesses.  Overall, glad I picked it up.  

I'm using my xbox controller on it because I found the default keyboard controls somewhat unwieldy.

This is some gameplay I captured this morning. (HD available)

is it loot centric at all Ash , how is Class development ?

Not loot centric.  

Upgrade weapons by adding combinations of runes that come as drops from orc captains.

Too early to tell as far as character development but you play the part of a ranger, so bow/sword/dagger are all part of your gameplay.  There seem to be quest lines that speak to specific skills, so you may lean toward more stealth play or ranged or up close and personal depending on what you choose to focus on.  

It's definitely heavy on the action play, but some interesting elements underneath.  Apparently you can have one or more orc minions that you show favour for and help them move up the ranks in the orc army.  Double agents i guess.

From what I've seen online this can be used to your advantage by pitting them against a higher level captain  as a distraction if you say have to get to an objective behind enemy lines. (I haven't got into this yet, but is my understanding from some gameplay reading I skimmed)

Any orc that kills you gets promoted to an officer type status and begins to gain power and influence in the army. They also get flagged if you want to go back and get some revenge.  They even seem to fight each other and kill one another.

Overall, based on limited play I'm liking being dropped into Mordor, it's a fun experience. :)

I picked it up for my ps4 yesterday but haven't put much time into it.  I like the environments and the way the orcs level up in spots but haven't seen any loot so it's not that type of game..  It's all about killing orcs.

Ashenfield

Yeah.  Def not a loot grab game.  It's RPG elements are not incredibly deep and complex, but the action gameplay is damned fun whether you are stealthy, ranged or in melee god mode.

Story is interesting enough to keep me curious, though most of my time has been spend on side missions and killing the orc hordes in interesting ways.

I wouldn't recommend it if you are looking for pure RPG, but if you like the world, get a chuckle from beheading orcs, and want to be a super ranger/wraith with near godly speed and power, it's a fun one to get in to.

It's kind of like being thrown into a tolkien movie and helping the story progress.  The cinematic feel is done pretty well.

Loved the vid Ash!  killing orcs is pretty fun :)

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Defenders Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: