Site Inactive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Defenders Forum Index -> The Secret World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spidubic

re: TSW two weeks in

Has it really only been two weeks since early access? Feels like I have been playing longer. And yet when I look at where I am in the game I realize how much I have left to play. Two weeks in and really just moved from the initial zone. Thoughts so far.

Pros: I like the idea of no levels. The ding of SP and AP is fine but not having a number over your head really gives the game a relaxed feel. Exploration first questing second. I love that I find quests by exploring and don't explore by questing. I do feel as if I have seen more of the game world this way than by the typical grab quests and go.

The skill wheel. Very overwhelming at first but getting use to it now. So many options is the first thought. Second thought is how long will it take me to correct a blunder early on? I like knowing the points keep coming so I can eventually flesh out my build and not worry about early.

Environment. Freaking awesome! I don't know if Funcom has done an overly outstanding job with details or if I just never noticed them in other games but TSW is loaded. And not big stuff either but little things you look twice at. Sometimes even dead. ;)

Quests. Beyond exploring the meat and potatoes of the game. Quests that make you think. That make you explore and notice all the little details in game. One quest where I was examining laptops and sneaking data had me enter a room full of people. Red to me thus I was dead if I got to close. I am like WTF? There was no way to get past the mobs. So I ran to the other end of the room to get the lore item there and that is when I noticed a small box on the wall next to the door. 'Fire alarm'. What the heck. I pull it. Alarm goes off, people run out of room. I grab item I need. Need I say more?

Cons: Right now crafting could be better early on. Then again I realize how that could have hurt exploration. Still.......

End game and duplicates. Eventually with such an open ended skill system people will have enough points to flesh out the entire skill tree. Then the optimum builds will be discovered. Eventually everyone will be the same. Or could be.

Reason to group. I could put this in the Pros area as well. I guess it depends on how you want to play. I am having so much fun in the actual world that I have no reason to head to a dungeon.

Can Funcom keep it up? Can they continue to add new stuff across all levels? I wouldn't mind going back to Kingsmouth at some point to do new quests even if they give me little to no XP. Going back to areas for a fresh look would be great.

Funcom in my humble opinion has hit a home run. An MMO where the rush to end game is not the main reason to play. Questing is not the reason to play. Neither is leveling. Just going out and exploring the land, discovering answers by using your brain and not the sharp end of a sword all the time.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Defenders Forum Index -> The Secret World All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: